Monday, February 23, 2009

Schedules, Passports & Shingles

Ephesians 2:8-10 says: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." This has been our prayer for the past few weeks and especially this week.

I'm half way through Monday and I can't help but think of all the things that I need to accomplish in the next few days. Schedules need to be written down, notes left, meals prepared; just making sure the kids are taken care of for a few days.

Laundry, packing, stops at the local Wal-Mart to make sure we have everything we need; more lists of things to remember to pack, take along, get...

So many things going on. So many things to do.

Early Thursday morning Clint and I are leaving for the airport with a group of 10 people. We are going to Tijuana; we'll be spending time at an orphanage and doing various other "mission" work. We are very excited and anxious to go. You all know, any time you plan on being gone, especially when you leave your kids home, there is a lot to think about without thinking about shingles.

Nope. We're not re-shingling the house before we leave.

On Friday, I went to the doctor because of a suspicious looking "patch" on my back. Turns out I have shingles (I've spared you the pictures I found on the Internet); it's the chicken pox virus that flares up in the nerve endings. I'm on a medication that's supposed to make the whole process go faster or not get worse or something; regardless, I'm not feeling very well at all. Pain from the "patch" and the surrounding area, headaches, fevers on and off, and just plain tired and exhausted.

I've got a few questions for God regarding this, but I'll rest in the fact that he's in control. That he knew all of this was going to be transpiring at the same time; that even with this discomfort, he'll equip me to do the work he's prepared in advance for me to do.

I'd be honored if you would pray for our family this week and next; and that the little people we encounter in Mexico will see Jesus.

11 comments:

  1. Friend,
    You will surely be in my prayers! I pray for healing, safety in travel, for your family as you are away, and for those precious ones that you will minister to. He is able!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been on my heart & mind and I've already been praying. May you feel His power, strength, and peace as you prepare and then as you travel & minister. I also pray for healing...love you, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been praying, and will continue to do so. I've had shingles before, Janelle, and it's not fun. I was diagnosed two days before I gave birth to Anna, and I had the same thought: "God, what's up with this?" ... I pray that you receive quick healing, and that your time in Tijuana is filled with God Moments. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for a return to feeling well, making a difference in the lives you touch on your mission and vice versa and a safe journey.
    God speed, health and riches of His grace, mercy and love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending hugs (it's the best I can do right now). I hope you feel better soon, and have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH girl, I've had shingles. NOT fun... I got them on a trip visiting my family. Had no idea what was happening, ended up at an urgent care...very strange.

    I'll be praying for you and your family. Be safe in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Nelly! We will be blanketing you and the others on this trip, and will keep your kids in prayer as well. May the Spirit of healing, peace and mercy overtake you in these next couple of days and may He wrap his loving arms around you!

    I pray a hedge around you, your family and the airplane that will get you to the destination God has called you into!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm so sorry you got sick. It seems to always happen when we make big plans for the Lord. I pray that He will bring relief swiftly and that you will see great things happen on your trip.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for your speedy recovery, a safe trip and for little hearts to be opened :-D Blessings to you..

    ReplyDelete